Short Circuit Analysis & Calculation Software
Easily perform dozens of different short circuit calculations. Avoid guesswork and tedious hand calculations in short circuit analysis.
Get a free demonstration copy of ETAP to explore the vast features and capabilities.
Electrical Current Calculations & Comparison
ETAP Short Circuit Analysis calculates comprehensive results regarding the full range of ANSI and IEC short circuit calculations required by engineers when designing, modifying and modernizing power systems. Equipment libraries and built-in tools enable engineers to perform dozens of short circuit analysis variations and clearly report the results. An intelligent built-in interface automatically applies applicable ANSI / IEC factors and ratios required for device duty evaluation.
The Short Circuit module automatically compares fault currents to the appropriate manufacturer short circuit current ratings. Alarms and warning are displayed for potentially overstressed device equipment.
ETAP seamlessly integrates Short Circuit, Protective Device Coordination and Arc Flash analysis to provide a comprehensive tool for electrical safety and protection calculations.
- ANSI (IEEE) Standard C37
- Underwriters Laboratories 489
- IEC 60909 and 61363 Standards
- Device Evaluation for 3-Phase, 1-Phase, & Panel Systems
- Short Circuit Calculations at Load Terminals
- Color-Coded Alarms and Warnings
- Seamless with Arc Flash and Device Coordination
Device Duty Calculations & Electrical System Evaluations
North American ANSI/IEEE and European IEC standards are followed for performing short circuit for Single Phase, Multiple-Phase, Panel Systems and UPS Systems. Device duty compares the fault current calculated from these networks for evaluation of protective equipment as well as other connected electrical equipment. ETAP automatically generates critical and marginal alarms which are specified by the user.
- Total fault current or maximum through fault current
- Auto-adjust line and cable resistances & lengths
- Detailed impedance tolerance adjustments
- Unbalanced fault impedance modeling
- Unbalanced fault shunt admittance for branches & capacitive loads
- Auto-calculate fault currents at motor terminals
- Model transformers with phase-shifting
- Graphical grounding models for generators, transformers, and loads
- Single-phase & panel systems detailed evaluation
- Calculate minimum and maximum fault currents
- Calculate ½ cycle faults for 3-phase, L-G, L-L, L-L-G
- Calculate 1.5–4 cycle faults for 3-phase, L-G, L-L, L-L-G
- Calculate 30 cycle faults for 3-phase, L-G, L-L, L-L-G
- Handle balanced and unbalanced faults
- Check device capabilities for momentary & interrupting
- Verify closing & latching capabilities
- Special handling for generator-specific systems
- User-definable contact parting times
ANSI / IEEE Standards:
- IEEE C37.010 Standard Application Guide for AC High-Voltage Circuit Breakers Rated on a Symmetrical Current
- IEEE C37.010b Standard and Emergency Load Current-Carrying Capability
- IEEE C37.010e Supplement to IEEE C37.010
- IEEE C37.13 Standard for Low-Voltage AC Power Circuit Breakers Used in Enclosures
- IEEE C37.013 Standard for AC High-Voltage Generator Circuit Breakers Rated on a Symmetrical Current Basis
- IEEE C37.20.1 Standard for Metal Enclosed Low-Voltage Power Circuit Breaker Switchgear
- IEEE C37.04 Standard Rating Structure for AC High-Voltage Circuit Breakers Rated on a Symmetrical Current including Supplements: IEEE C37.04f, IEEE C37.04g, IEEE C37.04h, IEEE C37.04i
- IEEE 141 Electric Power Distribution for Industrial Plants – the Red Book
- IEEE 242 IEEE Recommended Practice for Protection and Coordination of Industrial and Commercial Power Systems – the Buff Book
- IEEE 399 Power System Analysis – the Brown Book
- UL 489_9 Standard for Safety for Molded-Case Circuit Breakers, Molded-Case Switches, and Circuit Breaker Enclosure
- Results for load terminal faults
- Auto-display marginal & critical overstressed equipment
- Switch between Symmetrical, Phase, Neutral currents
- Display phase & sequence voltage profiles and current profiles
- Report phase & sequence impedances
- Interactive alarms for warnings and limit violations
- One line diagrams, including short circuit results, can be exported to CAD applications
- Detailed customizable output reports
- Full color customizable Crystal Report® viewers
- Export reports to MS Word, PDF, MS Excel, etc.
For more information on our Short Circuit Analysis module, please EMAIL US.